We meticulously monitored your Emerald Zoysia as it grew in the field. Your neighbors eyed the dark emerald treasure as you installed the sod pieces. Now, abide by these practices to ensure your outdoor haven is also a Lifetime Lawn:
Mowing Emerald Zoysia Sod
- Mow at 1.5 cutting height. Mow no more than 1/3 of the leaf off at one mowing. Use sharp mower blades and catch and remove clippings. Mow with a rotary or reel mower.
- Less frequent mowing requirements (second only to Centipede) - mowing may be required on a 7-to-10-day interval.
|Mow when grass is this tall:||2 inches (5cm)|
|Set cutting height of mower to:||1.5 inches (3.7cm)|
Watering Emerald Zoysia Sod
Water to supplement rainfall shortages only. Avoid fixed timer irrigation settings. Though drought tolerant, Zoysia best performs when it receives approximately 1 inch of water per week. If one or more inches of rainfall occur in a week, additional irrigation is not necessary. (Example: if 1/2 inch of rain occurs within a growing week, apply 1/2 inch by irrigation.) Do not waste water by over watering; avoid run-off and standing water for any period of time. (How and When to Water)
Fertilizing Emerald Zoysia
- Fertilize with Super-Sod’s Total Lawn Food 16-4-8 + Iron and Pelletized Dolomitic Limestone, which can be purchased at your local Super-Sod store. Fertilize according to the table below and according to soil test recommendations.
- Apply between 2 and 4 pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet annually, during the growing season. Select a fertilizer that is labeled for use on Zoysia grass lawns. Do not apply fertilizer to wet turf to avoid burning. Too much fertility will result in a thatchy, unhealthy lawn and increased disease risk.
- Supplemental application of iron will improve grass color.
Weed Control for Emerald Zoysia
- Zoysia’s dense growth can reduce the weed population but to be sure, use of a pre-emergent herbicide, recommended for use on zoysia lawns on the label, is strongly recommended in the spring and fall. Apply weed control according to the table below. Read and follow label directions.
- For assistance with weed identification and pest control contact your nursery/garden center, landscaper, or State cooperative extension service agent.
Fertilizer (lbs/1000 ft2)
|Early Spring||Wait to Fertilize Until After Green Up||Pre-emerge for grassy weeds|
|Spring||7 lbs 16-4-8 + Iron||Post-emerge for broadleaf weeds|
|Mid-Summer||7 lbs 16-4-8 + Iron||Post-emerge for broadleaf weeds|
|Fall||Omit Fertilizer; Apply Fungus Control||Pre-emerge for grassy weeds|
Disease Control for Emerald Zoysia
- Pests can become a problem, especially if zoysia is not growing healthily (too much fertility or water, etc.).
- Zoysia Patch disease (Rhizoctonia fungus) can be a problem in over-fertilized lawns. Leaf rust is a lesser problem.
- Grubs and bill bugs (plus mole crickets in the Lower South) are soil-borne insects which can cause damage.
Thatch Removal in Emerald Zoysia
- Thatch Removal: Periodically it may be necessary to remove accumulated thatch. This is best accomplished just before turf turns green (which is approximately late winter in the coastal plain and spring further north). Scalp with a lawn mower or de-thatch with a commercial machine and remove debris.